If you are considering installing a new air conditioner for your home or business, you may be feeling overwhelmed by the available options. There are multiple types of AC systems, and they all have their own benefits, as well as drawbacks. With careful research — and the input of the professionals at Bay Heating & Air Conditioning — you can find the type of air conditioner that will best fit your needs.
Central Air Conditioning
Central air conditioning is a highly popular form of cooling. With a central AC system, you can distribute cool, conditioned air throughout your property.
Pros of Central Air Conditioning
Central air conditioning offers a range of benefits to home and business owners, including:
- The ability to control the temperature and maintain a consistent climate in your home
- Options to control humidity, filtration, and more
- It’s a more subtle cooling system — no need for cumbersome equipment
Cons of Central Air Conditioning
Some of the reasons that central air conditioning may not be best for you include:
- The need to have a duct system in place (as well as the need to clean and maintain those ducts)
- High installation and repair costs
- Higher energy bills
Ductless Mini-Split Systems
Ductless mini-splits offer an alternative form or cooling as compared to traditional ducted models. If your property doesn’t have ducts or you prefer a ductless system for other reasons, ductless mini-splits may be for you.
Pros of Ductless Mini-Split Systems
Ductless mini-splits provide many advantages, such as:
- No need to install, maintain, or repair duct work
- Can offer both cooling and heating capability
- The temperature can be customized per room
- Energy efficiency
Cons of Ductless Mini-Split Systems
You may decide against installing a ductless mini-split because:
- They can be costly
- Maintenance, cleaning, and general upkeep can be time-consuming
- Their appearance may not fit into the design of your home or business
Heat pumps are a form of air conditioning that serve a dual purpose — they can also function as a heater when it is cold outside! For people who are looking for an all-in-one solution to their HVAC needs, heat pumps may be the answer.
Pros of Heat Pumps
You should select a heat pump if:
- You want a system that can heat and cool your space
- You are looking for something energy efficient that can save you money on bills
- Durability is one of your greatest concerns
Cons of Heat Pumps
Some of the down sides of choosing a heat pump include:
- The difficulty and high cost of installation
- An increased need for maintenance
- Potential performance decreases in very cold weather
Air conditioning units that fit into your windows may seem like one of the least desirable AC types, but they offer a variety of unique benefits. Depending on your cooling needs, a window unit may be the best choice for you.
Pros of Window Units
Select a window unit to cool your home for benefits such as:
- Ease of installation
- Lower cost than other AC systems
- The ability to control the temperature room to room
Cons of Window Units
Do not choose a window unit if you are not interested in issues including:
- The bulky appearance of the systems
- Limited options for installation (they cannot be put in just anywhere on your property)
- Less-than-desirable energy efficiency
At Bay Heating & Air Conditioning, our experienced technicians can answer your questions and help you install the best HVAC equipment for you. Send us a message or call (440) 294-4954 today.