The holidays are a time for good cheer, celebration, and staying comfy with friends and family. But what is the cost of that comfort? If you find that you are spending an inordinate amount on your utility bills just to keep your home warm this winter, you may be doing something wrong. Read on to learn how to stop wasting money on heating costs this holiday season, and remember that our HVAC experts at Bay Heating & Air Conditioning are here for all your heating service needs.
The Top 5 Ways to Reduce Your Heating Costs This Winter
- Don’t Run Your System When No One Is Home: During the summer, it is actually more energy-efficient to run the air conditioner when you leave for work, as this will prevent your unit from having to work twice as hard when you return home for the day. The same is not true for your heating system, however. Running your heating system while no one is home is simply a waste of money, and may actually overheat your house while jacking up your energy bill. Instead, you should set your thermostat so that your heater turns on a few minutes before you get back to your house. And speaking of thermostats…
- Lower Your Thermostat When It Gets Cold Out: Many people naturally assume that when the temperature drops, you should turn your thermostat up to account for the change in temperature, when in fact, just the opposite is true. You should actually raise your thermostat in the summer and lower it in the winter to offset the cost of your HVAC use. Another thing that can help you achieve the ideal temperature balance without raising your energy costs is to install a cutting-edge smart thermostat, which will actually be able to learn your comfort preferences over time and adjust the settings automatically
- Seal Up Cracks & Holes: Every year, homeowners across the country waste a ton of money in energy costs simply due to air leaks in their house. Your heating system will not be able to provide the optimum level of heat you deserve if it is constantly working to accommodate for air loss, and your utility bills will skyrocket, too. To help prevent this, you should do everything you can to seal up little openings throughout your home. This may involve everything from weather-stripping to caulking to simply locking your windows when you shut them, to make sure your air is sealed in tight.
- Turn Off Your Exhaust Fans As Soon As You Are Done Using Them: Your exhaust fans are essential for getting rid of nasty smells in your kitchen and bathroom and improving your indoor air quality all around. However, it is important to remember that every time you turn an exhaust fan on, you are also letting out warm air. This winter, run your exhaust fans when you have to, but make sure they are turned off as soon as you finish using them, and never leave on for longer than necessary.
- Never Hesitate to Call for Heating Service: The best way to increase your comfort and safety while reducing your energy bills this holiday season is to call for heating service as soon as you suspect there is a problem. Not only can waiting to call for a heating repair be dangerous, it may also force you to replace your system before its time. At Bay Heating & Air Conditioning, we know how to get your heater up and running again ASAP and can provide energy-efficient solutions to reduce your HVAC bills year-round. Consider scheduling annual tune-ups to ensure your heating system is always ready to face the winter weather, and if your heater is making strange noises, releasing funny smells, cycling on and off, or simply failing to provide you with the comfortable temperatures you deserve, call Bay Heating & Air Conditioning right away.
Bay Heating & Air Conditioning is available by phone at (440) 294-4954, or you can send us a message online.